March 14, 2013

Day Nine

Today I stared by adding a few more measurements to my map. I found the width of the dirt road leading to the turnaround and the diameter of the turnaround. After I had finished the minor changes I met with Scott McClain and we discussed my conceptual design. I took notes on a lot of things that needed improvement but a few that were important were the locations of the road and River Trail and parking. Scott pulled up the floodplain map on the county GIS and this showed that a small portion on the property can fill up with water which means it could also be a wetlands area. In my design the dirt road and the River Trail pass right through this so I am going to have to move the road and the River Trail westward to avoid this area. Another change would be adding River Trail access towards town. This is a simple fix by reflecting the access from Animas View drive to go both North and South. The main issue we talked about was the parking situation. One of the goals of the property is to allow for public access to river and this means some people will be pulling trailers. There has to be a location for these trailers and at this point I only had areas to park not designated stalls. To park a trailer you need about 12 feet on each side of a 40 foot stall. The only area that can accommodate that type of space is on the Sherman property but it would take up all the space. This means parking will have to be on both sides of the road in the area closer to the beach. This however is also necessary because some people will be using this area as an access point to get to the beach so having parking on both sides will minimize the amount of pedestrian traffic across the dirt road. A path will also now have to put in to bring people from those parking spaces to the beach.

Tomorrow I am going to start by walking the property and taking notes on certain aspects of it, obscurities, how the placement the each aspect of my design. Then, at the office, I will make the changes that are needed. I am also going to talk with Scott at another point to discuss the changes that I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment